Jennifer Lawrence has spoken dismissively about the mooted Hunger Games prequel movies, saying: “It’s too soon.”
The Hunger Games: Mockingjay – Part 2, which opened in cinemas last month, was originally designed as the fourth and final instalment in the film series based on Suzanne Collins’ bestselling young adult novels.
However, Michael Burns of Lionsgate said last week that the studio is exploring possible ideas for prequel movies and suggested that the franchise “will live on and on”.
Asked about the potential prequels, franchise star Lawrence told Variety: “I wouldn’t be involved. I think it’s too soon. They’ve got to let the body get cold, in my opinion.”
Though The Hunger Games: Mockingjay – Part 2 has grossed a sizeable $530 million (£350 million) at cinemas worldwide since it opened on November 20, its box office receipts still trail the three previous movies in the series, which raked in $695 million (£458 million), $865 million (£570 million) and $755 million (£498 million) respectively.
Lawrence’s latest film Joy, in which she plays Joy Mangano, the woman who invented the Miracle Mop, opens in US cinemas on December 25 and in the UK on January 1. Watch the latest trailer below.