Johnny Depp’s recent hand injury will now delay shooting on Pirates Of The Caribbean 5 by at least a month.
Depp started shooting the sequel, which has been titled Pirates Of The Caribbean: Dead Men No Tales, in Australia last month (February). Norwegian duo Joachim Rønning and Espen Sandberg, who recently helmed the first two episodes of Netflix’s Marco Polo, are directing.
However, the actor injured his hand in an off-set injury earlier this month (March) and left Australia on March 10 to fly to his native US for treatment. Shooting on scenes without Depp continued at first, but shortly afterwards production was put on hold and around half of the film’s 400-strong crew were asked to stand down temporarily.
A spokesperson for the film – which has an estimated $250 million (£170 million) production budget – has now told The Hollywood Reporter that shooting should resume on or around April 15 depending on the speed of Depp’s recovery. Following his injury the actor is said to have needed a pin inserting in his finger.
Disney has set Pirates Of The Caribbean: Dead Men No Talesfor release on July 7, 2016 – a date that remains unaffected by Depp’s injury. Disney’s plot synopsis for the sequel teases: “Thrust into an all-new adventure, a down-on-his-luck Captain Jack Sparrow (Johnny Depp) finds the winds of ill-fortune blowing even more strongly when deadly ghost pirates led by his old nemesis, the terrifying Captain Salazar (Javier Bardem), escape from the Devil’s Triangle, determined to kill every pirate at sea…including him. Captain Jack’s only hope of survival lies in seeking out the legendary Trident of Poseidon, a powerful artefact that bestows upon its possessor total control over the seas.”
Alongside Depp and Bardem, the fifth Pirates Of The Caribbean film will star former Skins actress Kaya Scodelario, who joined the cast in January, and young up-and-coming Australian actor Brenton Thwaites. Meanwhile, Geoffrey Rush will reprise his regular Pirates role as Captain Barbossa.