Michelle Williams has released a statement after Mark Wahlberg donated his $1.5 million reshoot fee for All The Money In The World to the Time’s Up campaign.
The actor’s fee caused controversy earlier this week when it was revealed his co-star Michelle Williams was not paid for reshooting scenes, other than a $1000 per diem.
In a statement, Wahlberg said: “Over the last few days my reshoot fee for All The Money In The World’s become an important topic of conversation. I 100 percent support the fight for fair pay and I’m donating the $1.5 million to the Time’s Up Legal Defense Fund in Michelle Williams’ name.”
— Mark Wahlberg (@markwahlberg) January 13, 2018
Williams has now released a statement, in which she thanks her fellow actresses and activist friends.
“Today isn’t about me,” she begins. “My fellow actresses stood by me and stood up for me, my activist friends taught me to use my voice, and the most powerful men in charge, they listened and they acted.
“If we truly envision an equal world, it takes equal effort and sacrifice. Today is one of the most indelible days of my life because of Mark Wahlberg, WME and a community of women and men who share in this accomplishment.”
Michelle Williams' reaction to Mark Wahlberg's donation: pic.twitter.com/iDIzLwangf
— Amy Kaufman (@AmyKinLA) January 14, 2018
WME, the agency that represents Wahlberg, also donated a substantial amount of money to the Time’s Up campaign. “The current conversation is a reminder that those of us in a position of influence have a responsibility to challenge inequities, including the gender wage gap,” they said.
“In recognition of the pay discrepancy on the All The Money In The World reshoots, WME is donating an additional $500,000 to the Time’s Up Legal Defense Fund in Michelle Williams’ name, following our pledge to the organisation earlier this month.”
They added: “It’s crucial that this conversation continues within our community and we are committed to being part of the solution.”
Ridley Scott’s latest movie had to undergo extensive reshoots in the weeks leading to its release after Kevin Spacey was replaced by Plummer at short notice following accusations of sexual misconduct, assault and harassment made against the House of Cards actor. Spacey issued a statement following the claims, saying that he was “taking the time necessary to seek evaluation and treatment”.