Tom Cruise blockbuster takes almost double the numbers of 'The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo'
Mission: Impossible – Ghost Protocol comfortably won the New Year UK box office battle at the weekend.
Tom Cruise‘s action sequel took over £8 million, almost double its nearest rival, The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo, which opened on Boxing Day. Ghost Protocol received a boost from its IMAX opening on December 21, prints of which also feature the six-minute prologue to The Dark Knight Rises.
Sherlock Holmes: A Game Of Shadows is third, with animations Alvin And The Chipmunks: Chipwrecked and Puss In Boots completing the top five.
Acclaimed silent movie homage The Artist landed just outside the top ten at the number 13, with a severely limited initial release. However its numbers are expected to greatly improve as Oscar buzz builds.
The UK box office top ten is:
1. Mission: Impossible – Ghost Protocol – £8,188,209
2. The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo – £4,325,594
3. Sherlock Holmes: A Game Of Shadows – £2,546,529
4. Alvin And The Chipmunks: Chipwrecked – £1,451,331
5. Puss In Boots – £1,366,975
6. New Year’s Eve – £736,024
7. Arthur Christmas – £302,006
8. Hugo – £244,283
9. Happy Feet 2 – £221,804
10. Don 2 – £189,669