Miller also reveals that his sequel could be titled 'Mad Max: The Wasteland'
Director George Miller has confirmed that he is working on sequels to Mad Max: Fury Road.
The post-apocalyptic action adventure starring Tom Hardy and Charlize Theron, Miller’s first Mad Max film in 30 years, was released last Thursday (May 14) to rave reviews and raked in $110 million (£70 million) globally over its opening weekend – the best opening of Miller’s career. On Sunday (May 17), in his first ever tweet, the director promised fans that there is more to come.
Meanwhile, during an interview on The Q&A With Jeff Goldsmith podcast, Miller re-iterated previous comments explaining that Mad Max: Fury Road is conceived as the first film in a new trilogy. Revealing that the script for the first sequel has already been written, Miller said: “We’ve [already] got one screenplay and a novella. It happened because, with the delays [making Fury Road] and writing all the backstories, they just expanded.”
Miller also revealed that the first sequel could be titled Mad Max: The Wasteland but warned fans not to keep asking when it will be coming out. “I just finished this movie 12 days ago! I said to someone it’s like asking a woman who’s just given birth, ‘When are you having your next baby?'” the director joked.
Tom Hardy has previously confirmed that he is signed up for another three Mad Max films should they get made. Read the NME review of Mad Max: Fury Road here.