The Oscars have reversed their much-criticised decision to present four awards during a commercial break.
Earlier this week, a host of Hollywood filmmakers – including Martin Scorsese, Quentin Tarantino, Spike Lee, and Spike Jonze – signed an open letter to The Academy pleading them to overturn the change.
The shake-up would have seen awards for cinematography, film editing, live action short and makeup and hairstyling be given out during TV breaks in a bid to cut down the broadcast length.
Now, it has been reported that the proposed decision has been reversed amid negative feedback from the movie industry and viewers.
In a statement (via Deadline), The Academy’s board of directors said: “The Academy has heard the feedback from its membership regarding the Oscar presentation of four awards – Cinematography, Film Editing, Live Action Short, and Makeup and Hairstyling.
“All Academy Awards will be presented without edits, in our traditional format. We look forward to Oscar Sunday, February 24.”
In another controversial move for the 91st Oscars ceremony, organisers recently decided to go ahead without a host for the first time in 30 years. Kevin Hart stepped down from hosting duties in December after homophobic tweets from his past resurfaced.
The Oscars’ network ABC Entertainment said the event will instead rely on a revolving line-up of celebrities to present the ceremony’s prestigious accolades.
2019’s Oscars will take place on February 24 at Los Angeles’ Dolby Theatre. Roma, The Favourite and A Star Is Born are set to lead the number of wins on the night.