Patrick Stewart has insisted that he knows “nothing” about his return to the X-Men franchise alongside Ian McKellen.
The veteran actors starred in the original trilogy of X-Men films between 2000 and 2006. Stewart played Professor Xavier, while McKellen portrayed his rival Magneto. Last year (2011), Marvel Studios revived the franchise with a prequel called X-Men: First Class, in which James McAvoy played a younger version of Xavier and Michael Fassbender took on the Magneto role.
A follow-up to First Class is now in the works – titled X Men: Days Of Future Past. Last month (November 2012), director Bryan Singer announced on Twitter that the new movie will feature appearances from all four actors. McKellen has since promised to give the younger actors “a run for their money”.
However, Stewart has now suggested that Singer may have spoken prematurely. He told Entertainment Weekly: “Bryan let the cat out of the bag on Twitter, and it included announcing that Sir Ian and myself were going to be in this movie… [But] I know nothing about this project. And I’m hoping that might change in the future.”
Continuing, Stewart explained that he and McKellen have yet to join the cast officially. He said: “I don’t know that we’re doing it. I have not signed a contract yet. I know there is a project in development, but we have no dates. No detailed casting. Thrilled to hear that my dear friend and colleague Ian McKellen is on board, but I’m sorry, you know, you need to understand, I’m not being cute. I know nothing.”
X Men: Days Of Future Past is set to begin filming early next year (2013) and is scheduled for release on July 18, 2014. The script is being written by Simon Kinberg, who has previously revealed that the story will focus on Magneto, the character played by McKellen and Fassbender.