Rian Johnson, the director of the forthcoming Star Wars: The Last Jedi movie, has spoken out for the first time about the next trilogy.
The new trilogy, a statement said at the time, will be “separate from the episodic Skywalker saga” and “will introduce new characters from a corner of the galaxy that Star Wars lore has never before explored.”
Now, Johnson who will direct all three of the fourth trilogy, has given his thoughts on the next era of Star Wars.
“I’m just in the very beginning of starting to come up with what the new trilogy is going to be,” he told a fan event in Mexico in a clip you can watch below.
”What makes me so excited about it, is the idea of doing a new story on the big canvas of three movies in this world.
”There’s just so much potential and I can’t wait to jump into it.”
There have so far been three trilogies in the classic movie franchise: the original trilogy from 1977 to 1983, the prequel trilogy from 1999 to 2005 and the current sequel trilogy. The latest trilogy started with 2015’s The Force Awakens and will be completed by The Last Jedi next month and the yet-unnamed Episode IX in 2019.
“We all loved working with Rian on The Last Jedi,” Lucasfilm president Kathleen Kennedy previously said. “He’s a creative force, and watching him craft The Last Jedi from start to finish was one of the great joys of my career. Rian will do amazing things with the blank canvas of this new trilogy.”
No release dates have been given for the new trilogy films. The Last Jedi is due for release on December 14 in the UK.