Robert Downey Jr says no to ‘Iron Man 4’

Actor keeps changing his mind but teases a big announcement from studio Marvel

Robert Downey Jr’s back-and-forth statements about whether or not he’ll return for a fourth standalone Iron Man adventure have taken another twist, with the actor suggesting he won’t return.

Downey Jr appeared on American television this week to promote his new film The Judge.

“There’s no script for Iron Man 4 but they do have a plan,” he told David Letterman on The Late Show. Speaking about the future for Tony Stark’s canned crusader alter ego, the actor added: “I think they’re going to announce – they’re very secretive about it.”

Pushed on whether he would return to the role that made him Hollywood’s highest-paid actor, Downey Jr relented: “Just between us… No. But I’m going to do other stuff with Marvel. I’m still going to be involved with Marvel and there’s going to be plenty of fun stuff to happen.”

It represented a quick U-turn from a previous TV interview he did with Ellen DeGeneres in which he teased: “I know there’s going to be a bunch more Marvel movies, and they have big ideas of how to do it best, and we’re in the middle of negotiations.” Asked to confirm whether he would return for Iron Man 4 Downey Jr replied: “OK, yes. Yes.”

The actor is clearly having fun teasing his fans. Last week he joked he would return for Iron Man 4 if Mel Gibson directs.

Downey Jr also confirmed this week that a third Sherlock Holmes film, to be directed by Guy Ritchie, is in the development stages. The actor will return as Iron Man in Avengers: Age Of Ultron, in cinemas April 24, 2015.

In his new film The Judge, Downey Jr plays a hotshot lawyer who quips, “Innocent people can’t afford me.” He is forced to reconnect with his estranged judge father (Robert Duvall) to defend him from a murder charge. The film is released in the UK on October 17.

Watch Downey Jr talk Iron Man during his interview on The Late Show in the video below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r98Tb4MUyVI