The minute-long teaser features Benedict Cumberbatch’s unnamed villain
The first trailer for Star Trek Into Darkness has debuted online.
The minute-long teaser for JJ Abrams’ sci-fi sequel was unveiled online this morning (December 6), and features Benedict Cumberbatch’s unnamed villain giving a chilling voiceover.
As fighter jets fly over a futuristic London, he says: “You think your world is safe, but this is an illusion. A comforting lie told to protect you. Enjoy these final moments of peace. For I have returned to have my vengeance.”
The trailer then goes on to show glimpses of the Earth under attack, and Chris Pine’s Captain Kirk and his crew watch on in horror.
Last week, the first plot synopsis was revealed, which confirmed that much of the action does indeed take place on Earth. It read: “When the crew of the Enterprise is called back home, they find an unstoppable force of terror from within their own organisation has detonated the fleet and everything it stands for, leaving our world in a state of crisis. With a personal score to settle, Captain Kirk leads a manhunt to a war-zone world to capture a one-man weapon of mass destruction.
“As our heroes are propelled into an epic chess game of life and death, love will be challenged, friendships will be torn apart, and sacrifices must be made for the only family Kirk has left: his crew.”
Star Trek Into Darkness reunites Pine with Zachary Quinto as Spock, Zoe Saldana as Uhuru and Simon Pegg as Scotty. It is due for release in the UK on May 17, 2013.
Watch the trailer below.