Colin Trevorrow's film is due for release in 2019
Star Wars director Colin Trevorrow has revealed ambitious plans to shoot his installment of the trilogy in space.
Trevorrow (who directed 2015’s Jurassic World) will helm the third and final film in the series which began with JJ Abram’s The Force Awakens in 2015. His Episode IX will be released in 2019.
Speaking at a Sundance Film Festival event this week, Treverrow went on record as saying that he hopes to film some scenes for the title in outer space and is awaiting confirmation as to whether it will be possible.
“I asked the question, ‘Is it possible for us to shoot IMAX film plates in actual space for Star Wars?’” Trevorrow said on the ‘Power of Story: The Art of Film’ panel. “And I haven’t gotten an answer yet, but they’ve shot IMAX in space!” (via The Hollywood Reporter)
Fellow director Christopher Nolan, appearing alongside Trevorrow on the panel, backed the idea. “Funny enough, we had that conversation with Interstellar,” Nolan said. “There’s incredible footage from space now.”
Meanwhile, Disney recently announced plans to delay the release of the next Star Wars movie by around seven months.
The Rian Johnson directed Star Wars: Episode VIII had been due to open on May 26, 2017 but will now arrive in cinemas on December 15, 2017.
While this obviously gives director Rian Johnson longer to work on the film, it is likely that Disney decided to push back Episode VIII to December so it can mimic the successful pre-Christmas release strategy of Star Wars: The Force Awakens.
Since its release in mid-December, J.J. Abrams’ film has raked in $1.872 billion (£1.32 billion) at the global box office, making it the third highest-grossing film of all time behind James Cameron’s Avatar and Titanic.
The Force Awakens‘ new characters played by Daisy Ridley (Rey), John Boyega (Finn) and Oscar Isaac (Poe Dameron) are all returning for Episode VIII.