David Benioff and DB Weiss are helming a new series of films for the sci-fi franchise
David Benioff and DB Weiss were hired by Disney back in February 2018 to make a separate series of Star Wars films, which will not be associated with either the episodic Skywalker saga or the trilogy being developed by Rian Johnson.
It’s now been reported by Star Wars Net that Benioff and Weiss will begin work on their first film later this year, with shooting possibly set to begin in the autumn. A source told the fan site that the duo’s series of films will begin by being set in the Old Republic era, and has been prioritised by Disney as they “wants to open up the Star Wars timeline and appeal to a more Game of Thrones-style audience”.
The source also gave Star Wars Net a possible indication about the narrative context for Benioff and Weiss’ upcoming film: “The timeline is hundreds of years prior to the Skywalkers, so think almost Star Wars meets Lord of the Rings.”
Benioff and Weiss had previously said that they’d turn their attention to their Star Wars films once production on the final season of Game of Thrones had been completed. Season eight of the HBO fantasy show will premiere on April 8.
Earlier this month, plans for a new Star Wars theme park were unveiled at an event which also confirmed that the park would be opening in the next few months.