Motoring show's controversial visit to Argentina proved popular with online viewers
Top Gear‘s Patagonia Special has been named the most popular show on iPlayer over the festive period.
There were nearly 2.1 million requests to view the first part of the motoring show’s visit to the panoramic region shared by Argentina and Chile, the BBC has revealed, and over 1.5 million requests to view the second part. The two-part special caused controversy earlier this year when it emerged that it was to feature a number plate that appeared to refer to the Falklands War.
EastEnders‘ Christmas Day episode was the second most popular show on iPlayer over the holiday period with over 1.6 million requests to view, while three other episodes of the BBC One soap also appear in the festive Top Ten.
Doctor Who‘s Christmas special and Miranda‘s Christmas Day episode also feature in the iPlayer festive top ten, alongside the final of The Apprentice and David Walliams’ adaptation of his popular children’s book The Boy in the Dress.
The BBC has also revealed that there were a total of 54.5 million requests to view programmes on iPlayer during Christmas week – the highest seven-day total yet. Demand for iPlayer has risen 25% year-on-year, the broadcaster has confirmed.
The Top Ten most popular shows on iPlayer this Christmas:
1. Top Gear Patagonia Special Part 1 – 2.08m requests
2. EastEnders (December 25) – 1,69m
3. Top Gear Patagonia Special Part 2 – 1.55m
4. EastEnders (December 26) – 1.43m
5. The Apprentice – Final/You’re Hired – 1.31m
6. Miranda: I Do, But To Who? – 1.27m
7. EastEnders (December 23) – 1.14m
8. EastEnders (December 24) – 1.10m
9. Doctor Who: Last Christmas – 1.07m
10. The Boy in the Dress – 1.06m