Sony announced two 'Bad Boys' sequels last August
Will Smith has confirmed that he and Martin Lawrence are “definitely” reuniting for Bad Boys 3.
Sony has scheduled the action-comedy sequel – which follows on from 1995’s Bad Boys and 2003’s Bad Boys 2 – for release on February 17, 2017. The studio has also slated a fourth Bad Boys film for release on July 3, 2019.
Asked for an update during an interview with BBC Radio 1Xtra, Smith replied: “I saw Martin [Lawrence] a few weeks ago. I haven’t seen him in about two years. We looked at each other. We hugged. In that moment, we knew we were making another Bad Boys. We’re definitely doing another one.”
Following years of rumours, Sony officially announced Bad Boys 3 and Bad Boys 4 in August of last year. In October, Smith said fans could probably expect to see the first sequel “within the next 12 to 16 months”, suggesting Bad Boys 3 is on track for its February 2017 release.
Joe Carnahan (2010’s The A-Team, 2011’s The Grey) is rumoured to be on board to co-write and direct the first sequel. Franchise producer Jerry Bruckheimer has previously said he is hopeful of persuading Michael Bay, director of the first two Bad Boys movies, to contribute to the third and fourth instalments in some capacity.