Director discusses 'Man Of Steel' sequel
Zack Snyder has discussed his plans for the eagerly-anticipated Batman Vs Superman film.
Snyder, who directed last year’s Superman reboot Man Of Steel, is now working on a follow-up film which will see Clark Kent’s alter-ego go head-to-head with Bruce Wayne’s masked vigilante. Henry Cavill is set to reprise his role as Superman, with Ben Affleck has been cast as Batman. The Social Network actor Jesse Eisenberg, meanwhile, will portray classic villain Lex Luthor.
Speaking to the LA Times about the project, Snyder said: “We’re getting ready to start shooting in a month or so. It’s very fun to get into this world with different heroes coexisting in the same universe, but a lot of balls are in the air. As a fan, it’s an amazing opportunity.”
He went on to add: “We know the material. Unfortunately, the fans don’t know the material. So, we’re casting according to what’s happening in the script. We’re hoping that leads to enough originality, enough perspective on what we’re doing that you get something fresh and exciting. I understand the canon. I’m not crazy. I know what these characters need from a mythological standpoint.”
“I think Jesse is going to be an amazing Lex. Let’s not forget he was nominated for an Academy Award. It’s not like I just grabbed my friend to play the guy! This guy’s the real deal.”
He also said of the film itself: “[The movie] literally takes the Man of Steel and Batman universes and explodes them. You’re not as tied to the mythology. In Man of Steel, we had to create an origin story, a mythology… but now that you’ve got these characters… to now let ’em loose, that’s fun!”
It was recently revealed that Batman Vs Superman has been delayed by 10 months and will now open on May 6, 2016 to “allow the filmmakers time to realise fully their vision, given the complex visual nature of the story”. The film was originally slated for a Summer 2015 release.