PS5 Digital Edition stock reportedly much lower than standard version

Some retailers have reported that less than 25 percent of the stock has been the digital version

Sony has reportedly made significantly lower quantities of PlayStation 5 Digital Edition available as compared to the standard PS5.

After the PS5 showcase last week (September 16), pre-orders for both consoles were quickly made available and most outlets filled their allocation within the first 24 hours. One of the key selling points was the PS5 Digital Edition, which is roughly £90/$100US cheaper than the standard edition.

However, according to a report by Eurogamer, a much lower amount of digital consoles have been made available for pre-order. The publication cited a source from a major UK retailer, which stated that its allocation of digital-only console was around 25 per cent, with the standard taking up the remaining 75 per cent.

Advertisement

Other sources who spoke to Eurogamer also provided similar figures, with one such source noting that its allocation the PS5 Digital Edition was only 20 per cent of its overall stock of the console, versus 80 per cent for the standard.

Ars Technica has also reportedly confirmed the PS5 pre-order allocation for nine separate GameStop locations in the US. Among the highest was a store which is said to have had 33 per cent digital stock, against the lowest which is claimed to have been 13 per cent.

Sony Interactive Entertainment boss Jim Ryan has also refused to comment on stock numbers. “The ratio between the Digital Edition and the disc drive model is currently something we cannot disclose at this time,” he told AV Watch, as translated by VGC. “We cannot give specific information on numbers, but we can say that we plan to produce the necessary number of units to meet the demand for that model type.

Following the chaos that came as a result on pre-orders coming with no warning, Sony apologised for the outcome and vowed that more PS5 pre-orders would be made available through to the end of the year.

Both versions of the PS5 will be available in select territories in the US from November 12, and release globally a week later on November 19.

Advertisement
  • Related Topics
  • PS5
Advertisement
Advertisement