Ghostbusters’ new director understands fans’ concerns over the all-female reboot

Paul Feig says ‘People are rightfully nervous’

The director of the all-female Ghostbusters reboot has revealed he understands the concerns of fans of the original movies.

The new film starring Melissa McCarthy, Kristen Wiig, Kate McKinnon and Leslie Jones opens in the US next week (July 15). Paul Feig says that, if he wasn’t the film’s director, he would be concerned at trying to restart the franchise.

Feig told Hey U Guys: “I understand there’s so much passion towards these movies and people are rightfully nervous. If I wasn’t doing it, I’d be just as nervous as everyone else. All you can say is ‘Judge it on its own merits’.”

The director, who previously made Bridesmaids and Spy, added he’s frustrated at people criticising the film before they’ve seen it. He said: “People feel more ownership over everything. They get so much information, they think they can pre-judge it. You get comments like ‘This movie’s terrible’, but it’s like ‘You didn’t see the movie.’”

Feig saw the original film, starring Bill Murray, Dan Aykroyd, Harold Ramis and Ernie Hudson, while he was at college. He said: “I’d never seen a comedy like it before. It had the scope and scares, but was also hilarious. I always wanted to make a movie like it, and then I ended up making that same movie.”