Case is moving closer to a trial
Harvey Weinstein has been indicted on rape and criminal sex charges.
A grand jury in New York confirmed the charges against the Hollywood producer despite him waiving his right to appear before the panel.
He was initially charged by prosecutors last week but this latest development moves the case towards a trial, reports Sky News.
Weinstein surrendered himself to face sexual misconduct charges last Friday (May 25). He was then charged on two counts of rape and one of a criminal sexual act.
The producer also agreed wear an electronic monitor, surrender his passport and restrict his travel to New York state and Connecticut.
Hours before the indictment was announced, a statement issued on behalf of Weinstein’s lawyer, Benjamin Brafman, said: “After being unfairly denied access to critical information about this case that was needed to defend him before the grand jury, Mr Weinstein’s attorneys decided there was not sufficient time to properly prepare Mr Weinstein.”
It added that Weinstein was not told the identities of his accusers and the specific charges until last Friday, and that he would not testify.
He remains free after agreeing to pay $1m (£750,000) in bail.
In a statement responding to the indictment, Mr Brafman said: “The announcement of Mr Weinstein’s indictment, does not come as a surprise.”
He went on: “We remind everyone that an indictment is merely a formal accusation. Mr Weinstein intends to enter a plea of not guilty and vigorously defend against these unsupported allegations that he strongly denies.”