Layne Staley died of an overdose of heroin and cocaine, an autopsy has determined...
ALICE IN CHAINS singer LAYNE STALEY died of an overdose of heroin and cocaine, an autopsy has determined.
As previously reported, Stanley, who was 34, was discovered at his apartment in the University district of Seattle last month (April 19) after police were called when nobody had seen the star for a number of weeks.
According to the local Seattle Times newspaper, an autopsy by the King County Medical Examiner’s Office cites his death occurred as a result of an “acute intoxication of the combined effects of opiates (heroin) and cocaine” on April 5. The overdose is thought to be accidental.
Alongside Nirvana and Pearl Jam, Alice In Chains were at the forefront of the mid-’90s grunge scene out of Seattle.
Staley was a founding member of the group with guitarist Jerry Cantrell, and had a well-documented battle with drugs throughout his career.