The star has spoken about the effect the attack has had on her
The star had just finished performing at the venue when a suicide bomber detonated an explosive device, killing 22 people and injuring 59.
Speaking to Elle, Grande said: “You hear about these things. You see it on the news, you tweet the hashtag. It’s happened before and it’ll happen again. It makes you sad, you think about it for a little, and then people move on.
“But experiencing something like that firsthand, you think of everything differently,” she continued. “Everything is different.” She added that getting back onstage was “terrifying”, but “it’s the most inspiring thing in the world that these kids pack the venue.”
Grande’s mother Joan was also interviewed for the piece. She said in the aftermath of the attack it wasn’t certain that the singer would ever perform again. She recalled her daughter knocking on her door in the middle of the night a couple of days after the tragic event. “She crawled into bed and said, ‘Mum, let’s be honest, I’m never not going to sing again. But I’m not going to sing again until I sing in Manchester first.'”
The star’s first show after the attack was the One Love Manchester benefit held at Old Trafford cricket ground. Miley Cyrus, Liam Gallagher, Coldplay, Katy Perry, Justin Bieber, and more performed at the show.
Grande, who is set to release new album ‘Sweetener’ on August 17, got engaged to SNL comedian Pete Davidson last month. He was recently criticised for a joke he made about the Manchester Arena bombing months after the attack. The singer responded to fans questioning her decision to stay with him on Twitter, saying: “This has been v tough & conflicting on my heart.”