Ward in the dark as to future plans as band confirmed for US festival
At The Drive-In have announced details of their first live appearance since 2012, though not all of the band members appear to be aware of the commitment.
The band will perform at Ohio’s Rock On The Range Festival next year with a line-up including headliners Red Hot Chili Peppers announced today (December 1). Disturbed, Five Finger Death Punch and Bring Me The Horizon also appear on the line-up.
At The Drive-In reunited for a string of shows, including appearances at Reading and Leeds Festivals, in 2012 and reissued both their ‘Relationship Of Command’ and ‘Acrobatic Tenement’ albums.
The band have not played live since headlining London’s Brixton Academy in August 2012. At the time, Omar Rodriguez-Lopez and Cedric Bixler of the band vowed that it would be their final gig.
Jim Ward of the band was interviewed by the El Paso Times last week about an EP he has released with side-project Sleepercar, and he appeared to have no clue about a potential reunion. Asked if he would be playing with the band at Rock On The Range, Ward said he was unable to confirm whether he would be joining the group and asked the reporter to “let me know what you hear”.
Speaking in 2013, Omar Rodriguez-Lopez said that At The Drive-In were not over and that there were always possibilities that the band would play together again.
Rodriguez-Lopez was asked by Rolling Stone if the band was still active, to which he said: “We don’t talk about it that way. It’s there; we have possibilities. Everybody’s doing something right now. Cedric has a record coming out, Tony and Jim in Sparta are doing stuff. We’re just trying to feel again when the moment opens up where nothing is forced and nothing is an obligation.”
However, relations between Rodriguez-Lopez and his bandmate Cedric Bixler were revealed to be strained that same year when the latter disbanded The Mars Volta in protest at the frontman starting a new band, Bosnian Rainbows.