Rob da Bank responds to reports Bestival 2019 won’t go ahead

Dorset Police had said the festival would not be taking place in 2019

Bestival co-founder Rob da Bank has responded to reports which claim that the festival will not be held in 2019 after police were told that “there are no plans” to hold an event this year.

First held in 2004, the eclectic festival relocated from its initial site on the Isle of Wight to the Lulworth Estate in Dorset in 2017. Last year’s festival saw performances from the likes of London Grammar, M.I.A and Grace Jones.

While an official announcement has yet to be made by festival organisers, Dorset Police have now revealed they were told by “the new event owners” that Bestival would not be taking place this year.

“The payment of our 2018 policing services invoice, totalling £141,176 to cover our policing of both Camp Bestival and Bestival is still outstanding,” a spokesperson for Dorset Police said (via ITV). “We’ve not received any full or part payment towards this.”

The force added: “Some time ago we were informed by the new event owners that there are no plans to run a Bestival 2019 event.”

Rob da Bank has since hit back at reports which claim Bestival won’t take place this year, writing on Twitter this evening (March 6): “There are some very odd and frankly completely fabricated and totally untrue stories circulating right now… watch this space.”

NME has contacted Bestival for further comment.

Back in September, administrators were appointed to Bestival Group, Bestival Ltd, and Camp Bestival. Richmond Group Debt Capital made an offer to take over Bestival Group, with the company saying they had “the intention of running the successful Camp Bestival going forward”.

At present, the 2019 edition of Bestival’s sister festival Camp Bestival is still going ahead, with Jess Glynne and The Human League set to headline.