Reebok slams “categorically false” reports Beyoncé walked out of deal over diversity row

The star announced a new deal with Adidas last week

Reebok have issued a statement denying reports that Beyoncé turned down a potential deal with them because of a row over representation.

The star was confirmed to have signed a deal with Adidas last week (April 4) that will see her launch her own “signature sneakers” as well as relaunch her Ivy Park activewear line.

According to ESPN’s Nick DePaula, Beyoncé could have chosen to work with Reebok instead of Adidas, but felt unreflected in the people who she would potentially be working with. The singer is said to have told Reebok staff: “Nobody in this room reflects my background, my skin colour, and where I’m from and what I wanna do.”

DePaula also claimed Beyoncé had also had discussions with Jordan and Under Armour. You can watch him discussing the new partnership below.

However, Reebok have now released a statement denying this was the case, saying: “The report that Beyoncé walked out of a meeting with Reebok due to lack of diversity is categorically false.”

It continued: “Our discussions with Beyoncé and her team continued for several months after our initial meeting. We are disappointed that false information is being reported as fact.”

Beyonce

In a statement announcing her deal with Adidas, the singer said: “This is the partnership of a lifetime for me. Adidas has had tremendous success in pushing creative boundaries. We share a philosophy that puts creativity, growth and social responsibility at the forefront of business. I look forward to relaunching and expanding Ivy Park on a truly global scale with a proven, dynamic leader.”

Meanwhile, the singer and her husband Jay-Z were honoured at the GLAAD Media Awards last week (March 29). The couple were presented with the Vanguard Award for “their LGBTQ allyship”.

During their acceptance speech, Jay-Z paid tribute to his mother, Gloria Carter. He had previously documented her coming out on his 2017 track ‘Smile’.