Boiler Room London postponed due to the Queen’s death

Organisers said they are "devastated" after being forced to delay the event

This weekend’s edition of Boiler Room London has been cancelled due to Queen Elizabeth II’s death.

The one-day event had been scheduled to take place in Burgess Park in Camberwell, south London this Saturday (September 17).

In an official statement issued earlier this week, however, organisers confirmed that Southwark Council has “withdrawn the permission” for Boiler Room London to go ahead as planned.

Southwark Council is the landowner of Burgess Park and therefore has the ability to cancel events for reasons of reputation and also for public safety.

“We are devastated to not be able to move forward on September 17th,” the statement continued, adding that bosses had “looked at every avenue” alongside the council in a bid to put on the event.

Boiler Room London outlined the same reasons for the postponement as the now-delayed Overflo Festival, which was due to run in Burgess Park on Sunday (September 18).

Queen Elizabeth II
Queen Elizabeth II CREDIT: Eddie Mulholland

One issue is that London’s emergency services will no longer have the sufficient resources to support such events due to the Queen’s state funeral taking place on Monday (September 19) at Westminster Abbey.

Per the statement, Southwark Council “need to be reassured” that there is enough police and ambulance resources to deal with any incident or accident that may occur at the festival.

“Unfortunately all resource is being drafted in to support with the Queen’s funeral,” the message went on.

Original tickets for Boiler Room London remain valid for the new date, which is set to be announced “shortly”. If ticketholders are unable to attend the rescheduled event, they can request a refund at the point of purchase.

Various other events have been postponed or cancelled following Queen Elizabeth II’s death, including BBC Radio 2’s Live In Leeds concert.

Cinemas across the United Kingdom will either close or offer free screenings of the Queen’s funeral on Monday. A national Bank Holiday has been confirmed to coincide with the day of the ceremony.

Meanwhile, Jedward have claimed to have received death threats after expressing a series of anti-monarchy views online.

The Dublin-born duo said it was “inhumane” to be “cancelling funerals and rescheduling cancer treatments” that fall on the day as the late monarch’s funeral. Additionally, they criticised plans to close food banks. “No one should be treated as second class citizens!” Jedward wrote.

The former X Factor contestants also defended the anti-monarchy protestors who have been arrested this week, and called for “freedom of speech”.

  • Related Topics
  • HRH
Advertisement

TRENDING

Advertisement