It comes after her father battled ill health.
Britney Spears has reportedly checked into a mental health facility after suffering emotional distress.
The pop icon will remain in treatment for a month after she was admitted more than a week ago, Variety has confirmed.
It’s thought that the singer, who announced a hiatus in January, became increasingly distressed after her father suffered a period of extensive ill health.
In November 2018, she also announced that she was stopping her Las Vegas residency to look after her father.
“A couple of months ago, my father was hospitalised and almost died,” she wrote on Instagram. “We’re all so grateful that he came out of it alive, but he still has a long road ahead of him.
“I had to make the difficult decision to put my full focus and energy on my family at this time.”
It’s also believed that her sister Jamie Lynn recently underwent surgery on a ruptured colon for the second time.
A source revealed to People: “Her dad being sick has taken a toll on her. He nearly died and actually had another surgery a few weeks ago. He’s not doing well. They’re so close and it has been a lot. There is nothing dramatic going on with her, she just realised she needs to make sure to take time to care for herself.”
For help and advice on mental health:
- ‘Am I depressed?‘ – Help and advice on mental health and what to do next
- Help Musicians UK – Around the clock mental health support and advice for musicians
- Music Support Org – Help and support for musicians struggling with alcoholism, addiction, or mental health issues
- YOUNG MINDS – The voice for young people’s health and wellbeing
- CALM – The Campaign Against Living Miserably for young men
- Time To Change – Let’s end mental health discrimination
- The Samaritans – Confidential support 24 hours a day