Chris Brown cancels Australian tour after being banned from entering country

Singer denied visa due to domestic violence conviction

Chris Brown‘s upcoming tour of Australia and New Zealand has been called off after the artist had his visa application rejected.

Brown’s One Hell of A Night shows already appeared doubtful to go ahead after Australia’s immigration minister, Peter Dutton, said in September that the government had denied Brown a visa to enter the country due to his previous domestic violence convictions. The R&B artist was convicted in 2009 of assaulting his then-girlfriend Rihanna. He had 28 days to appeal the decision to refuse a visa, but the ban was not lifted.

Brown was scheduled to play shows in Sydney, Melbourne, Perth and Brisbane, as well as dates in New Zealand, during December. The tour would have been Brown’s third in Australia since his sentence, having already played there in 2011 and 2012.

Brown’s tour promoters issued a statement on Tuesday (December 1), saying that while the tour has been cancelled, Brown remains’ “hopeful” to return to Australia “in the near future”.

The statement reads: “Mr Brown and the promoters both remain positive that the tour will take place in the near future. Mr Brown wishes to express his deepest gratitude to the fans for their support and looks forward to a successful tour in the near future.”

NMEGetty

Meanwhile, a spokesperson for Immigration New Zealand told Reuters that Brown had voluntarily withdrawn his application to enter the country.

“Immigration New Zealand can confirm that Chris Brown withdrew his application for a work visa to travel to New Zealand. No decision had been made on the application,” the spokesperson said.

Tyler, The Creator faced a similar situation when he cancelled his Australian tour in August after feminist group Collective Shout campaigned to have him denied entry, accusing him of homophobia and sexism in his lyrics.