The US singer was due to tour the country in December
Chris Bown’s application to take his ‘One Hell of a Nite’ tour to Australia in December has been officially rejected by the country’s immigration minister, Peter Dutton.
On Thursday we reported that the country’s minister for women, Michaelia Cash, warned that Brown might not be allowed to play gigs in Australia after a petition calling for the US singer to be denied entry was set up by women’s rights group GetUp.
The group’s uproar is centred around Brown’s 2009 guilty plea to assaulting his then-girlfriend Rihanna. A statement on their website says: “By turning a blind eye to his tour, we send a message to survivors of family violence that it’s not that important and that you should just get over it.”
Dutton has told Brown he has 28 days to appeal this decision, but for now the singer’s Australian tickets have been taken off sale. He was set to play four shows – in Sydney, Melbourne, Perth and Brisbane – which would have been Brown’s third tour around Australia since his sentence, having already played there in 2011 and 2012.
Earlier this year Brown was banned from playing a gig with Trey Songz and Tyga in Canada and in 2010 he was denied entry to play dates in the UK.