Cliff Richard has denied allegations of a historical sex offence against him as “completely false”.
His comments come after a house belonging to the singer in Berkshire had been searched by police in relation to claims involving a boy under 16, dating back to the 1980s in the South Yorkshire area.
Eight plain-clothed police officers arrived in five unmarked cars to conduct the search and a number of items were removed from the property in the Sunningdale area for further investigation, reports BBC News.
No arrests have been made and Richard, who is out of the country, said in a statement: “For many months I have been aware of allegations against me of historic impropriety which have been circulating online.
He added: “The allegations are completely false. Up until now I have chosen not to dignify the false allegations with a response, as it would just give them more oxygen.
“However, the police attended my apartment in Berkshire today without notice, except it would appear to the press.
“I am not presently in the UK, but it goes without saying that I will cooperate fully should the police wish to speak to me. Beyond stating that today’s allegation is completely false it would not be appropriate to say anything further until the police investigation has concluded.”
The singer apparently left his home in Portugal this morning (August 14) and travelled with his sister to another part of the country for a few days.
The investigation is not connected to Operation Yewtree, but police said officers from that operation – set up by the Metropolitan Police to investigate hundreds of allegations in the wake of the Jimmy Savile scandal – had been notified.
Thames Valley Police also said it assisted the South Yorkshire force with the execution of a search warrant at Richard’s Berkshire property.