Conor Oberst‘s record label have denied dropping him after he filed a defamation lawsuit over rape allegations.
Gossip website TMZ claimed to have legal papers in which the Bright Eyes frontman said that the accusation of rape caused his record label to drop him, as well as ‘tanking’ his record sales. However, his label Nonesuch have since told NME that is incorrect. “The TMZ report is inaccurate,” they stated. “Conor has not been dropped by his label.”
Earlier this year Oberst filed a defamation lawsuit against the woman who accused him of raping her when she was 16. The woman made the claim in the comments section of a lifestyle website writing: “I was raped by a ‘rock star’ myself. I was 16 years old, he was in his 20s. No one believed me (he wasn’t even that famous then).” She later claimed that the “rock star” referred to was Bright Eyes frontman Conor Oberst.
Oberst filed a $1 million lawsuit against the woman, stating that she damaged his reputation and is “just an embittered superfan, who gushed about him and Bright Eyes as recently as January 2013.” At the start of the year Oberst’s publicist publicly responded to the claims: “Usually we wouldn’t feel the urge to comment on spurious blog chatter but the recent allegations made about Conor Oberst by an anonymous commenter on the xoJane website are flagrant enough to demand our response. This individual’s accusations are absolutely, unequivocally false.”
The singer is currently in the UK to play a string of headline shows, starting tonight (July 8) at Manchester Cathedral, with gigs at London KOKO on July 9 and 18 and Glasgow ABC on July 21. Support on all dates comes from Dawes. He will also play Latitude Festival on July 19. The dates come in support of Conor Oberst‘s new solo album, ‘Upside Down Mountain’, which came out in May.