Corinne Bailey Rae’s husband died of ‘accidental overdose’

Singer pays tribute to her 'only true love'

The husband of singer-songwriter Corinne Bailey Rae died after an accidental overdose of methadone and alcohol, a coroner has ruled.

The body of Jason Rae, 31, was found by police at a flat in the Hyde Park area of Leeds on March 22.

Leeds Coroner’s Court heard the musician, who played saxophone with Amy Winehouse and Mark Ronson, had alcohol and methadone, a heroin substitute, in his blood.


Coroner David Hinchliff also found traces of cocaine and ecstasy during the post-mortem examination, but said these would not have contributed to Rae‘s death. He gave a verdict of death by misadventure, reports the BBC.

He said: “Methadone is a dangerous substance in its own right.

“It is what’s called a central nervous system depressive, which, if taken in quantity, can affect the part of the brain that controls breathing.

“This, coupled with alcohol, can be devastating.”

In a statement read by the coroner in court the singer, said: “My husband is my first and only true love. He is the most beautiful and complex person I have ever known. He is utterly irreplaceable.”

The Scots-born Rae had recently returned to Leeds, where the couple met in 2001 and were based, after touring with his band, The Haggis Horns.