A man died at this weekend’s Wacken Festival in Germany, local emergency services have confirmed.
The man, who is currently unnamed, died over the weekend as a result of carbon monoxide poisoning. He passed away after he lay down beneath the cover of a canvas tent and went to sleep for over two hours.
Tragically, the tent contained a power generator, which filled the tent with carbon monoxide, leading to the man’s death. An investigation has already been launched into the circumstances of the death.
The ICS Festival Service GmbH, who organise the German festival, have issued a statement about the man’s death, which reads as follows: “Unfortunately, we have sad news: We were informed by the German Red Cross that there has been a death at the Wacken Open Air 2012. We are shocked and send our condolences to family and friends of the deceased. Final details are not known at this point. You will find the official press release from the emergency medical service below.”
The local emergency services also issued a statement of their own with more details about the man’s passing, which reads like so: “At this year’s Wacken Open Air festival, a tragic accident took place on the camping ground. As far as is known now, a festival guest laid down on canvas-covered trailer, where he fell asleep. A power generator was also located underneath the cover and running, filling the space between trailer and canvas with poisonous carbon monoxide.”
They continued: “As it appears, the person on the trailer was breathing in this gas and consequently died. After approximately two hours, the friends of the deceased went looking and discovered the lifeless body under the canvas on the trailer. Emergency services and doctor were called immediately, but couldn’t successfully resuscitate the person. The State Attorney has started investigations.”
Wacken Festival took place over the weekend of August 1 – 3 and featured sets from the likes of Cradle Of Filth, Sylosis, In Flames, Ministry, Sick Of It All and Watain.