Jesse Hughes claims a number of security guards did not turn up for work on night of attack
Jesse Hughes from Eagles Of Death Metal has questioned the degree of security at the Bataclan in Paris on the night 89 people were killed terrorists during one of his band’s gigs.
Hughes, who previously claimed that greater access to firearms for the public may have prevented the attack, said in a new interview with Fox Business Network that a number of security guards who were due to work on the night of the attack did not turn up for work and pondered why that might be.
“When I first got to the venue and walked in, I walked past the dude who was supposed to be the security guard for the backstage,” Hughes explained. “He didn’t even look at me. I immediately went to the promoter and said, ‘Who’s that guy? I want to put another dude on.’ He said, ‘Well, some of the other guards aren’t here yet.’ And eventually, I found out that six or so wouldn’t show up at all… Out of respect for the police still investigating, I won’t make a definite statement, but I’ll say that it seems like they had a reason not to show up.”
News.Com.Au has shared a short video from the interview, which can be seen here. The full interview will air this evening (March 10).
Eagles of Death Metal recently pulled a series of gigs after Hughes sustained an injury to his finger. The band made their live return on February 18, exactly three months after terrorists targeted their show at the Le Bataclan theatre in Paris. 89 people were killed in one of a series of attacks on the French capital.
The band are due to play Reading and Leeds festivals later in the summer, with these appearances not expected to be affected by Hughes’ injury.