Elton John recovering at home after appendix operation

'Tiny Dancer' singer has surgery at Monaco's Princess Grace Hospital

Elton John is recovering at home after undergoing an operation to have his appendix removed, it has been reported.

The 66-year-old singer had the emergency procedure done at Monaco’s Princess Grace Hospital on Thursday (August 1), and is said to be recuperating at his home in Nice, France.

Last month, Elton John revealed that he nearly died of the appendicitis which forced him to pull all his summer tour dates, including a massive concert in London’s Hyde Park. The singer told The Sun he thought the crippling pain he felt was food poisoning. It later transpired it was an appendix abscess.

“I’m lucky to be alive,” he said. “I was a ticking time bomb. I guess I could have died at any time. I feel so lucky and so grateful to be alive.”

Meanwhile, it was recently revealed that Elton John will receive the first ever Brits Icon Award. The new accolade will be celebrated at a separate event each year. A spokesperson for the Brits told NME that the award will not replace the Outstanding Contribution Award, which continue to be presented at the Brits on an ad-hoc basis.