The frontman was found dead at his Essex home today. The surviving bandmates paid tribute to Flint as “a true pioneer, innovator and legend”, before Liam Hewlett revealed that he had taken his own life.
Remembering Flint, Eavis shared footage from the band’s legendary headline performance at Glasto 1997 – where they topped the bill alongside Radiohead and Ash.
- The NME Obituary: Keith Flint, 1969-2019: the twisted face of rave, the beating heart of The Prodigy
“We are so saddened to hear about the passing of Keith Flint,” wrote Eavis. “He’s played here so many times with the Prodigy and was booked for 2019. What an incredible frontman.
“Here’s a clip from ‘97 when they were the first dance band to headline Glastonbury – a huge, unforgettable moment.”
We are so saddened to hear about the passing of Keith Flint. He’s played here so many times with the Prodigy and was booked for 2019. What an incredible frontman. Here’s a clip from ‘97 when they were the first dance band to headline Glastonbury – a huge, unforgettable moment. pic.twitter.com/9fxKBonfVa
— Emily Eavis (@emilyeavis) March 4, 2019
“It is with deepest shock and sadness that we can confirm the death of our brother and best friend Keith Flint,” said the surviving Prodigy members Liam Howlett and Maxim Reality in a statement. “A true pioneer, innovator and legend. He will be forever missed. We thank you for respecting the privacy of all concerned at this time.”
The Prodigy’s acclaimed last album ‘No Tourists‘ was released in 2018.
For help and advice on mental health:
- ‘Am I depressed?‘ – Help and advice on mental health and what to do next
- Help Musicians UK – Around the clock mental health support and advice for musicians
- Music Support Org – Help and support for musicians struggling with alcoholism, addiction, or mental health issues
- YOUNG MINDS – The voice for young people’s health and wellbeing
- CALM – The Campaign Against Living Miserably for young men
- Time To Change – Let’s end mental health discrimination
- The Samaritans – Confidential support 24 hours a day