GLASTO IS GO!

Michael Eavis gives "spanking good' presentation"...

GLASTONBURY FESTIVAL will go ahead this year after local councillors agreed to grant organisers a licence after a marathon seven hour session.

Michael Eavis told reporters that “a spanking good presentation” had convinced doubters at Mendip District Council in Somerset.

Radiohead look set to headline the Saturday night (June 28).

On 12 December last year the council refused permission for the festival mainly due to concernes of effects to Pilton and other villages of crime and environmental damage.

The decision was finally reached at 1am this morning (Tuesday 18 February 2003).

Michael Eavis has agreed to a number of key plans to help alleviate concerns. These include:

One less stage

Crime reduction team

Village liaison manager

Money for extra police in villages

Car park clampdown

The now legendary Security fence

A statement has been issued by Mendip District Council, which reads: “Earlier today the meeting of the Mendip District Council’s Regulatory Board granted the application for a licence for Glastonbury Festival 2003.

“A seven hour meeting heard presentations from Festival representatives, Avon And Somerset Police, as well as representations from local people – opposed and for the event – and other statutory bodies.

“The final vote was 10 – 4 in favour of the application. The Board agreed by a further vote of 8 – 2 in favour of allowing a total attendance figure of 150,000 at the site at Worthy Farm, Pilton, Somerset.”

Board chairman, Councillor Martin Bax said afterwards: “I should like to thank Mendip officers, the members’ working party, the police, all the other agencies and the organisers for their hard work and time spent debating and producing their reports for us to debate.

“I should also like to wish the festival organisers every possible success for this year’s festival.

“Let us hope that this will be the safest and best yet.”