Florence And The Machine‘s Florence Welch has revealed that she is taking a year off from music.
The singer, who performed on the Main Stage at the weekend’s Reading And Leeds Festivals, told Style magazine that she wants to take a 12-month hiatus before she starts work on her next studio album.
Welch, whose last studio album ‘Ceremonials’ has been named as one of the front-runners by bookies for the 2012 Mercury Prize, said:
There’s a big ‘take a year off’ plan. The record company have put no pressure on me for the next album. They’ve said I can have as long as I want.
Florence And The Machine released their debut album, ‘Lungs’, in in 2009, with ‘Ceremonials’ following in October last year. Earlier this year, the singer suffered a vocal injury which caused her to cancel her headline appearance at Benicassim and another scheduled show at he Optimus Festival in Portugal.
Speaking about the problem, she said: “I actually felt something go pop or snap, or whatever. Whatever it is, it was very frightening. I had to really adjust because it happened in the middle of a show.”
In July, Florence And The Machine grabbed their first ever UK Number One single with the track ‘Spectrum’. Last week (August 23), meanwhile, it was revealed that Welch will feature on the new album from Calvin Harris. Other starts set for guest appearances on the Scottish DJ’s third album, which is titled ’18 Months’, include Rihanna, Ellie Goulding, Dizzee Rascal and Tinie Tempah.