Locals are continuing to debate the fate of the Glastonbury Festival following the first day (March 26) of meetings with Mendip Council.
As previously reported, licensing specifics for this year’s event are expected to be announced over the next two days (March 26, 27) following a meeting of Mendip Council members.
Today’s meeting took place between council members and organiser Melvin Benn and his lawyer Michael Bromely Martin. Glastonbury founder Michael Eavis was also in attendance.
The three issues that were being debated were: an application for a four-year (as opposed to a yearly one) license, the increased application for 22,500 extra tickets and the question of whether there was enough distance between the fenced-off boundaries of the festival and the rest of the village of Pilton.
The licensing committee asked promoter Benn if wanting more people to come was a good reason for allowing an increase in capacity. He said: “The capacity should increase in line with whether it’s safe to do so and the reasonable authorities have no issues.”
Mr Phipps, representing the Pilton Parish Council, did not object to a license being issued, he also said that he wanted to “keep the increase considerate” and that he would rather a year license was issued, not a four-year one, which is now available due to new laws.
Meanwhile Ward Councillor Dick Skidmore said that he had not heard any reasons for an increase in numbers.
Regarding the license increasing from a year to four years, Benn said that when he wanted a lifetime license, Mendip Council had suggested a four-year license, so he said: “Don’t compromise a compromise.”
The hearing also heard from interested parties, including the police, who did not object to the festival taking place again.
A decision on these three issues will be announced tomorrow (March 27) at midday.