Glastonbury festival has been given permission to increase in capacity, on the condition that the extra 7,000 punters all travel by public transport.
As the Bristol Post reports, the Worthy Farm event will be allowed to raise crowd numbers to a huge 210,000 – as long as they meet Mendip District Council’s request for more public transport provisions for the extra attendees in years to come.
“We have been advised there will be no increase in 2019, but acknowledge the licence does allow an increase,” said a spokesman for Mendip District Council.
Glasto’s current licence is valid until 2024, when they have to reapply for a new one.
On their website, MDC added that they have “a good working relationship with the festival organisers and all of the partners involved in the running of the event, which is what helps to make it one of the best music festivals in the world”.
As for on site developments, Glastonbury boss Emily Eavis recently said that Arcadia are working on a new area and completely new design, Bloc 9 are expanding down in the South East corner with a ‘mind-blowing’ new installation and The Park has got something new appearing to it with a whole new area.
Speaking of improvements being made to the Glasto site, Emily Eavis told NME last year: “I think [in The Park] there will be a couple of radical switches around and a bit of a re-jig. I was walking through The Park last night, it was 2 in the morning, I was looking up the hill at all the venues, and they were all banging and really going off.”
“I had this idea all of sudden we could do [in The Park] that would be really radical, and thought ‘that would be really cool’. It’s not the sort of thing you could do in a year off, but two gives us a bit of time.”
Emily added: “The thing about the festival is that it’s run by the most devoted team of people, and they really put everything into it. Everyone is committed to making it as brilliant as it can be. It’s quite moving when you think about the amount of people that make it happen. I think they’ll all appreciate a break.”
Among the 2019 Glastonbury rumours, Liam Gallagher is strongly tipped to be making a Pyramid Stage appearance. Aside from Lizzo recently telling NME that she’d be performing, so far Kylie Minogue has been confirmed to take the Sunday legends slot, Janelle Monae has been revealed to headline the West Holts Stage, and Stormzy is the only Pyramid Stage headliner to be announced so far.
The Cure and The Killers are currently the bookies’ favourites as the other two main headliners, with Interpol, Stereophonics, Lana Del Rey, and Childish Gambino among the others rumoured to perform.