2018 will be a fallow year for Glastonbury Festival to allow the site’s farmland time to recover. The next festival will take place in 2019 from June 26-30.
Speaking to NME, Eavis said: “Headliners should be the best artists around – whether they’re rappers, pop stars or rock bands. The genre is irrelevant – it’s about who is going to produce the most exciting show and is making the best music.”
“We always encounter debate, which is great, that’s what it’s all about. Most music fans are open minded and many discover new music by coming to festivals and getting blown away by some amazing artist that they’ve never seen before.”
Asked whether former Oasis frontman Liam could top the Pyramid Stage as a solo artist, Eavis replied: “We love Liam, did you see his crowd last year in the Other Stage field? Incredible.”
She added: “We aren’t giving anything away as to who we are looking at for next year’s festival, but we’ve booked one headliner so far…”
On whether Kanye – who headlined in 2015 – could return, she said: “Maybe, but it’s a little bit too soon to talk about it now.”
This follows news that Glastonbury is set to ban plastic bottles from the site from 2019.
Last week, Glasto founder Michael Eavis dropped some hints on the line-up for Glastonbury 2019 at the VO5 NME Awards – stating there’ll be “two or three [acts] that have never played”.
Speaking on the red carpet ahead of winning the award for Best Festival supported by ID&C, Eavis dropped the hint in an interview with Radio 1. It’s sent the rumour mill into overdrive – amongst the names being floated are Fleetwood Mac and Led Zeppelin, as well as newer acts like Kendrick Lamar.