Suit claims the former NWA rappers hired gang members to provide security during NWA biopic shoot
Suge Knight is facing a new lawsuit relating to the death of Hollywood records co-founder Terry Carter. Knight was in February charged with the murder of Carter after an alleged hit-and-run incident.
The suit claims that the rappers hired gang members to provide security for the filming of their forthcoming NWA biopic Straight Outta Compton, and that it was those gang members who threatened Suge, leading to a panic that caused Carter’s death. Dre and Cube are currently serving as producers of the film.
The incident took place in the car park of Tam’s Burgers in Compton on January 29 and the Carter family is also suing the fast food restaurant, claiming violent crimes regularly occur on its premises. The suit is seeking unspecified damages.
Last week it was revealed that Knight has hired Michael Jackson’s former lawyer Thomas Mesereau as his defence attorney for the ongoing murder trial. “I am convinced he is innocent,” Mesereau told reporters outside court.
The Death Row Records founder recently collapsed in court after the judge ordered his bail bet be set at $25m (£16.7m). Judge Ronald S Coen said the huge fee was justified as the hip-hop mogul was already on bail over a separate robbery case at the time of his arrest.
In April, a video was formally released by the court of the alleged hit-and-run. The surveillance camera footage was formally reviewed during a preliminary court hearing on April 17 and officially released shortly after.
If convicted, Knight could be sentenced to life in prison.
Straight Outta Compton, meanwhile, is set to open in UK cinemas on August 14. Dr Dre and Eazy-E are played by newcomers Corey Hawkins and Jason Mitchell, while Ice Cube’s son O’Shea Jackson Jr will portray his father. Oscar-nominated actor Paul Giamatti appears in a supporting role as the group’s manager Jerry Heller.