Festival licence renewed following review today (November 20)
Isle Of Wight Festival has been granted a licence for 2013, following a make-or-break council meeting over its future today (November 20).
The festival had its licence put under review by the Isle Of Wight council after a complaint was lodged by GKN Aerospace. The company, the largest private employer on the island, said they lost £50,000 during this year’s weekender due to travel chaos brought on by severe weather.
John Giddings, who runs the festival, was told to bring documents to the meeting regarding future event safety plans and traffic management. He told the meeting he had already spent £200,000 to fix the problems, and plans to charge punters entry to the car parks to encourage the use of public transport.
He also said the management structure has been changed to ensure that communication between the ferry companies dropping off revellers and bus companies shuttling them to the festival site is improved.
The council took a number of hours to deliberate over the published documents, but unanimously declared that the Isle Of Wight Festival would go ahead next year.
Tweeting the good news, John Giddings wrote: “Unanimous decision in favour of Isle Of Wight 2013 – Game On!!”
However, local newspaper, the Southern Daily Echo, reported that they will now have their permit restricted to a five yearly review and may have the number of festival goers permitted reduced.