Among the other contemporary music nominees are Sampha, Dave, This Is The Kit and Raleigh Ritchie. Mica Levi’s score for the Jackie Kennedy biopic Jackie has picked up a nomination, as has Daughter’s score for Life Is Strange: Before The Storm. Ed Sheeran’s two nominations both fall in the PRS for Music Most Performed Work category, for ‘Shape of You’ and ‘Castle on the Hill’. Also nominated in this category is Rag ‘N’ Bone Man, for ‘Human’.
Now in their 63rd year, the awards are presented by the British Academy of Songwriters, Composers & Authors in association with PRS for Music. They “celebrate, honour and reward excellence in British and Irish songwriting and composing” and represent “the pinnacle of musical achievement and peer recognition”.
See the full list of nominations below:
Best Song Musically and Lyrically
This award recognises excellence in songwriting craft; entries will be judged with particular reference to melody, lyrics, harmony and structure.
- ‘Can’t Do’ – written by Everything Everything
- ‘Magnificent (She Says)’ – written by Elbow
- ‘(No One Knows Me) Like the Piano’ – written by Sampha
Best Contemporary Song
This award recognises outstanding originality in songwriting. The judges will be looking for songs which capture the moment and/or explore the boundaries of contemporary music.
- ‘Cola’ – written by Camelphat and Elderbrook
- ‘Don’t Cry For Me’ – written by Stormzy, Varren Wade and Wizzy Wow
- ‘Question Time’ – written by Dave and Fraser T Smith
PRS for Music Most Performed Work
(This award credits the work having received the most broadcast, online and general performances in the UK during 2016. It is compiled by The Ivors sponsor, PRS for Music)
- ‘Castle on the Hill’ – written by Benny Blanco and Ed Sheeran
- ‘Human’ – written by Jamie Hartman and Rag’n’Bone Man
- ‘Shape of You’ – written by Steve Mac, Johnny McDaid and Ed Sheeran
This award acknowledges the album as a body of work; entries will be judged with particular reference to exceptional songwriting and consistency.
- ‘A Fever Dream’ – written by Everything Everything
- ‘Gang Signs & Prayer – written by Stormzy
- ‘Moonshine Freeze’ – written by This is the Kit
Best Original Film Score
This award recognises outstanding composition for a feature film; particular attention will be paid to how well the music enhances the visual content.
- It – composed by Benjamin Wallfisch
- Jackie – composed by Mica Levi
- Paddington 2 – composed by Dario Marianelli
Best Television Soundtrack
This award recognises outstanding composition for a television programme; particular attention will be paid to how well the original music enhances the visual content.
- Babs – composed by Rob Lane
- SS-GB – composed by Dan Jones
- The Miniaturist – composed by Dan Jones
Best Original Video Game Score
- Hellblade: Senua’s Sacrifice – composed by David Garcia Diaz and Andy LaPlegua
- Horizon Zero Dawn – composed by Joris de Man, Joe Henson and Alexis Smith
- Life is Strange: Before the Dawn – Igor Haefeli and Elena Tonra, of Daughter
The winners of each category will be announced at the Ivor Novello Award ceremony at the Grosvenor House in London on Thursday, May 31.