James Arthur says he’s retiring from music after his next album

The former X-Factor winner has upset some fans

James Arthur has told his Twitter followers that he’ll be retiring from music after the release of his next album.

The singer won the ninth season of X Factor back in 2012 and went on to release two studio albums – 2013’s self-titled debut and 2016’s ‘Back from the Edge’.

The release for his forthcoming album is yet to be announced but he has shared singles ‘You Deserve Better’ and ‘At My Weakest’.

Earlier today (June 29), Arthur tweeted, ‘After this album I’m retiring. Love James x’ which you can see below.

Fans were quick to react, with one writing: ‘I hope to Christ this is one on your many pranks James Arthur. A long rest yes but to retire is final. We can’t live without you and your music, just like music as always been your world. I hope it’s a Friday joke but it’s NOT funny.’

Another added: “Let me tell you Mr Arthur …. You have a long way until you retire. This music industry needs you because you are one of a kind and so original Us JArmy adore you so much and we can’t wait for what’s to come …. Keep up the hard work JA”

While Arthur didn’t confirm whether his tweet was a prank or not, Metro reports that his representatives confirmed that it was in fact, a joke.

Last month, The Script announced that they are suing Arthur for copyright infringement. In a suit filed by attorney Richard Busch, the Irish band are alleging that Arthur’s 2016 song ‘Say You Won’t Let Go’ infringes on the copyright of The Script’s ‘The Man Who Can’t Be Moved’, which was released in 2008.