It has emerged that rap supremo Jay-Z paid $600,000 to producer LANCE RIVERA, the man he stabbed after a nightclub brawl two years ago, and Rivera then stopped cooperating with prosecution lawyers.
As reported on NME.COM yesterday (October 17), Jay-Z admitted the offence (third-degree assault) in a Manhattan court hearing on Tuesday (October 16) and will receive a three-year probation sentence during a hearing on December 6. Had a criminal trial started and Jay-Z, real name Shawn Carter, been found guilty, he would have faced a second-degree felony charge and faced a 15-year prison sentence.
Prosecutors have not said why they accepted Jay-Z‘s plea. However, the New York Post claims that the decision stemmed at least in part from Rivera’s vow to either “disappear” or “help his friend” if the case went to trial.
Prosecutors said: “The victim… told [prosecutors] that money he had received from Carter pursuant to the threatened lawsuit adequately compensated him for the stabbing.”
The stabbing took place on December 2 at the Kit Kat club in New York. Jay-Z claimed that Rivera had been illegally bootlegging his then-new album ‘The Life And Times Of S Carter’.