The material includes tracks produced by Rick Rubin
Johnny Cash‘s son has revealed that there are four or five albums’ worth of his late father’s material that will eventually see release.
John Carter Cash’s comments come before ‘Out Among The Stars’ is released on Monday (March 31), the first of his fathers ‘lost’ albums to be made available to the public since his death.
Speaking to The Guardian, he said: “There are a few things that are in the works right now – probably four or five albums if we wanted to release everything. There may be three or four albums worth of American Recordings stuff, but some of it may never see the light of day.”
Discussing the proposed releases, Rick Rubin, who worked with Cash throughout the ’90s and ’00s, said: “We released the work we had been planning to release along with John [Carter Cash] and the idea of the ‘Unearthed’ boxset of outtakes was his idea. We will probably put out additional ‘Unearthed’ material recorded since the last Unearthed box, in keeping with John’s wishes.”
‘Out Among The Stars’ was recorded between 1981 and 1984 but was never released by Cash’s label Columbia Records. During the archiving of Cash’s estate, it was discovered that his late wife June Carter Cash had kept the tapes. “They never threw anything away,” said their son, John Carter Cash. “They kept everything in their lives. They had an archive that had everything in it from the original audio tapes from ‘The Johnny Cash Show’ to random things like a camel saddle, a gift from the prince of Saudi Arabia.”
‘Out Among The Stars’ will be the fourth posthumous release since Cash’s death in 2003, and the first since 2010’s ‘American VI: Ain’t No Grave’.