Warrant issued for Justin Bieber’s arrest in Argentina

The warrant stems from a 2013 incident involving the alleged assault of a photographer

A warrant for Justin Bieber‘s arrest has been issued in Argentina.

A judge issued the warrant earlier today (April 10) after stating that the singer failed to respond to a summons which related to an incident which happened in 2013, when the pop singer was accused of assault by a photographer.

Hollywood Reporter writes that Judge Alberto Julio Banos has ordered the “immediate detention” not just of Bieber but of bodyguards Hugo Alcides Hesny and Terrence Reche Smalls. Bieber is accused of sending his guards to attack photographer Diego Pesoa on November 9, 2013 at the Ink club in Buenos Aires.

If he is convicted of the charge of causing injuries, the singer could face anything from one single month to six years in prison. It is not yet clear if the warrant extends beyond Argentina.

Last year it was reported that Argentinian authorities employed the services of international police organisation Interpol to summon the pop singer to court in Buenos Aires. Photographer Diego Pesoa says he was “chased and beaten” after he tried to take photos of Bieber

Assault charges in Canada from January of last year against pop singer Justin Bieber were dropped in the autumn. Bieber was charged after allegedly attacking a limo driver in Toronto, with local police saying that Bieber was one of six people picked up outside a nightclub in the early hours of December 30, 2013, and he then struck the driver on the back of the head ‘several times’. However, the charges were dropped in September after prosecutors said there was “no reasonable prospect of conviction”.