Katy Perry adamant that she did not pay for Super Bowl gig

Singer will perform at annual american football event in February

Katy Perry has insisted that she did not pay to secure her position as the headliner of this year’s Super Bowl half-time show.

As confirmed last year, Perry will follow in the footsteps of Bruno Mars, The Who, Prince and Beyoncé when she performs at half-time in the american football event in February. Reports claimed that the NFL invited the management of Coldplay, Katy Perry and Rihanna to submit bids if they wanted to appear at the 2015 event, which attracts a US TV audience of over 110m and global media attention.

Speaking to Billboard, Perry stated that she was asked to play and no money changed hands. She said: “I put my foot down very early in the courtship. I said, ‘Look guys, here’s where I draw a line in the sand,'” she said. “I want to be invited on my own merits and not with some fine print. I stuck to my position … I don’t even care if my contract leaks. … I have nothing to hide, basically.”

Perry also said that she will not cause controversy in a similar fashion to Janet Jackson and her ‘wardrobe malfunction’ in 2004 or MIA flipping her middle finger alongside Madonna in 2012.

“Everything I’ve done in my career hasn’t been blatant this or that. It’s always with a wink. It’s a soft-serve sexiness,” Perry admitted. “My intention is that everyone talks about the music and nothing else. … Sometimes you can’t control other people. But I will control myself.”

Perry will take to the pitch at the University Of Phoenix Stadium in Arizona on February 1, with special guest Lenny Kravitz set to join her for the performance.