The band are putting crowd safety first and have said they will not take the stage tonight as their barrier requirements have not been met...
LIMP BIZKIT‘s festival appearance in MADRID tonight (May 19) has been pulled due to safety fears, NME.COM can reveal.
The band, who were due to appear at the Festimad just outside the city tonight, had requested their usual T-shaped safety barrier. But it has emerged that the barrier has not been provided, and the band are putting safety first and at present they will not be taking the stage.
As reported earlier today on NME.COM, details emerged in the Australian press of the autopsy report into the death of a 16-year-old girl during Limp Bizkit‘s set at the Big Day Out festival in Sydney in January. It has been found that Jessica Michalik died from lack of oxygen to the brain during the crush at the front of the stage. To read the earlier story, click here.
While negotiations are currently taking place to see if the situation can be salvaged, NME.COM’s reporter in Madrid said that at press time it looks unlikely their performance will happen. It has been raining heavily in the city and the ground is believed to be very muddy.
The band, who move on to Portugal on Monday, as scheduled, are expected to make a statement later. Click back for further updates.
Earlier today, before the news emerged that their safety precautions had not been met, Fred Durst and Wes Borland took part in a press conference at the Hyatt Hotel. Durst, sporting a large sparkling diamond cross and lavish diamond earrings, spoke about his film project ‘Runt’, slamming soppy US movies such as ‘American Pie’ and saying there were too many of that ilk. His will be about the outsider kid who gets beaten up in school. In an amazingly Spinal Tap-esque statement, Borland revealed that he had been “experimenting with vintage plectrums” while working on the band’s next album, as it will be “a lot darker”.