The Limp Bizkit frontman claims that the band's plea for increased security fell on deaf ears...

As police appeal for witnesses to the crowd crush at the SYDNEY BIG DAY OUT, during a which a teenage girl suffered a heart attack that later proved fatal, LIMP BIZKIT frontman FRED DURST has broken his silence over the incident.

Speaking with an Australian newspaper, Sydney’s Daily Telegraph, Durst said the band’s demands for extra security measures fell on deaf ears.

“We begged, we screamed, we sent letters, we tried to take precautions, because we are Limp Bizkit, we know we cause this big emotional blister of a crowd,” he said.

And he said he knew even before the band’s set began that the moshpit had become dangerous.

“The crush was already happening before we even walked onstage and the worst thing that could happen, that I told them would happen, did, and a girl died.”

Dee Why schoolgirl Jessica Michalik, 16, died in Concord Hospital on Wednesday, after suffering a heart attack at the Sydney Big Day Out, before being revived and rushed to hospital the previous Friday.

The next day Limp Bizkit flew from the country, apparently without telling the organisers, who only discovered the band’s departure through a note left at the hotel.

Durst recalled the incident from his Los Angeles home.

“The promoters had hired more security, but they didn’t know what they were doing – they were just bodies who were standing there because there was no room for them to do anything.

“That’s when I said, ‘The security isn’t doing anything here.’ I said to the crowd, ‘You have to take care of yourselves now, you have to look to your right and to your left.

“You are on your own now, you have to take care of yourselves now, there’s no help here.”

Durst also said he would never forget the “freaked” look on the faces of promoters, as they battled to marshal security guards and called for the crowd to move back from the front of the stage.

“All these people were screaming, ‘We need a show, we need a show’, but we were saying we might have to stop this show because it was so dangerous.”

With Jessica on life support the following day, the band decided it could not jeopardise the safety of any more fans and left the country.

“Backstage all we could think was, ‘How did this happen?’

Meanwhile, organisers have posted a tribute to Jessica Michalik on their website at [url=] www.bigdayout.com.

Under the banner “In Respectful Memory Of Jessica'” and a picture of her at the previous year’s event, organisers write: “All of us here at the Big Day Out send our deepest sympathy and heartfelt condolences to Jessica’s family and friends in this time of great sorrow.”

There is also a mail link to send condolences, though there is no explanation of exactly where these messages will be sent.

The Big Day Out has also announced that it will survey festival-goers in order to restructure the event for future years.

But until full details of Jessica Michalik’s death are available, organisers say they will not comment further on the incident.

According to [url=] www.billboard.com., the coroner’s report is being prepared by police in Sydney who have now appealed for festival-goers to give statements.