The director of a documentary about MIA has confirmed that the film will still “definitely happen”.
Speaking in this week’s issue of NME, available digitally and on newsstands now, filmmaker Steve Loveridge revealed that work on the documentary had restarted after he appeared to quit the project earlier this year.
Loveridge had previously leaked a trailer for the film online, and subsequently published a message on his Tumblr account urging MIA’s label Interscope to “wake up” and claiming that he “would rather die” than complete the film after posting an email he received from a representative demanding the clip be removed from YouTube.
Reports earlier this month, however, suggested that work on the project had restarted and Loveridge has now confirmed: “The documentary is definitely happening. I’m holed up a room in Tottenham Court Road cutting it. I didn’t fall out with Maya. She’s often a very complicated person to work with and a hard taskmaster, and we do fall out now and again, but on the documentary she’s been good as gold.”
He went on to claim that his public threat to quit the film had been a “positive thing”, adding: “Maya thought it was hilarious that I got into a public spat with the label and management.” He also confirmed that he hoped the documentary would be ready in 2014, concluding: “It will be screening sometime next year.”
MIA released her new album ‘Matangi’ earlier this month (November 4). The LP, which is her fourth studio record, features the tracks ‘Bad Girls’, ‘Come Walk With Me’ and ‘YALA’. You can can watch the latest instalment in NME‘s video interview with MIA, in which she says she wants people to know she’s “proud” about having to go to court in order to come back to England. You can watch the interview above.
Earlier in 2013, the singer accused a New York court of a human rights violation for a ruling which said she could not bring her child back to the UK until a custody battle with her ex-boyfriend was resolved.